Monday, May 15, 2006

Show and tell

Someone mentioned I hadn't done anything with this blog yet. So for the sake of having something new for the two or three readers, I will make an effort to post something. But it's Monday, and my mind is shrivelled up, so I might have to resort to the worst kind of update - a "what books I've been reading!" style blog post. But replace reading with watching, and books with things I downloaded via BitTorrent or iTunes.

First off - TV. Worth mentioning, because the season five finale of Smallville aired last week, which is at least worth watching, but evidence of a show that has really gone downhill in the last year. I suppose there's only so much you can do when the main character is Superman and only has one easily exploitable weakness.

The second season of Lost is also about to finish this week. Last week's episode was interesting, as most episodes are, but as ever, nothing gets resolved. I don't know if the writers are genius marketing men or not, but it seems every episode continues with no actual progress made and a vaguely interesting cliff hanger. It worked to make the first season brilliant, but now it does feel as if the writers are taking the piss.

Two of the better things on TV at the moment, are Doctor Who and South Park. I've always been a fan of South Park, and the latest season remains brilliant, not much else to say. The new Doctor Who is just a very pleasant surprise though - apart from the stories themselves being interesting enough, David Tennant makes a great Doctor, despite dressing a bit like Jarvis Cocker. A cool, funny, charming Doctor, alongside a couple of slightly dopey cockney assistants - who could ask for more? Apparently I look a bit like David Tennant, but the person who said that might have been referring to the fact I'm a lanky, effeminate, foppy-haired Scotsman (even though I'm not Scottish - but living there long enough now makes me a Scotsman in the eyes of Londoners).

Green Wing is also pretty good too, if soley to witness a coffee enema.

On the music front, my most recent acquisitions have been Dirty Pretty Things' Waterloo to Anywhere, Flaming Lips' At War with the Mystics and Red Hot Chill Peppers' Stadium Arcadium. I really shouldn't be a music journalist or anything, all I can say is that they're all great albums and you should listen to them yourself. At least no one needs to read music reviews nowadays, in the age of try-before-you-buy iTunes/torrents.

I've also been watching, listening, reading and playing other things too, but this post is turning into a bit of a waffle. I think I've met my obligation of writing a thoroughly blog-like post, so I'll try to limit these in future. I have just finished downloading Almost Love though, a new Korean romantic comedy (a genre which accounts for 50% of Korean movies). Not that I condone piracy, but neither do I condone flying to South Korea to watch yet another romantic comedy that won't be released here. It could be a terrible film anyway, I haven't seen it yet, but it looked like it was worth downloading - the main character sports a lovely bowl-cut. I'll try to post something more insightful later.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last Smallville episode was so cheesy. How could it end like that?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home